Thursday, August 5, 2010

Oaxaca



Our next stop in Mexico was Oaxaca. Being in Mexico City was cool, but Oaxaca was Beautiful!!



I was reading through my journal a little bit the other day and I came across the entry from when I was in Oaxaca and it made me remember how much I loved it there...



Day 6: "We are now in Oaxaca and today was honestly the most fun I have had all week! We started the day off by going to a few museums and seeing a couple different sights"





...then we went to the Zocalo for lunch, which was super fun because we just hung out with the professors and listened to all their funny stories they had. After lunch we went to a market in the middle of the city to do a little shopping. It was like a crazy farmers market/mall with every type of shopping you could think of; clothes, toys, shoes, food, produce, meat, fish, ect. (it smelled worse than you may be imagining)

Then we walked around the city a little longer and explored. The people here seem super friendly and unlike Mexico City I feel very comfortable and safe walking around these streets."


After we finished dinner we all began to walk around the Zocalo and everybody started acting really crazy. There were bands playing, fireworks being shot off, huge puppet people dancing around, and everybody else was dancing as well. We joined the crowd, danced around, shot off some fire works, and watched as some clowns put on a little show for us. Apparently it was the day of the children so there was a huge party in the whole city to celebrate!
As we started heading back towards our hotel we saw a parade on the street with lots of loud music and tons of people, so we decided to join the parade! We went crazy dancing and clapping and acting really wild. We were all having so much fun and all the locals were watching us and they loved to see "gringos" in the parade. People were taking pictures of US in the parade. It was so much fun!"
I wish I could find some of the pictures we took that night, but I have no idea where they went!

Here are a few pictures from the temple in Oaxaca...





I love Oaxaca!

No comments: